Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A New Way of Giving Birth...Laugh don't Push!!

.....how to begin.....Check IN: Basically I was just hoping I was at least 5cm because the contractions weren't that bad & I could tell the nurses thought I wasn't really in labor. So when the midwife told me I was between 6-7cm we were all a little surprised! She told me because he was so low the bags of water were acting as a cushion during the contractions. So all the pain I've been in this past month was worth it when it came to the Laboring part! It probably would have been a different story if my water broke! It was also crazy to think that I really was in Labor while playing the piano in primary Sunday! The worst part was finding a vain for the IV...it was WAY more painful then my contractions...it took three tries! OUCH! Then the blessed Epidural was the next painful thing. I probably could have had him an hour earlier but everyone was just taking their sweet time and in the process making me laugh...which leads me to the laboring part.
My midwife was crackin me up in soo many ways but one was that she was really intimidated by my last birthing experience, which I didn't think could be topped. With Jada I had some "skid marks" but no taring and she was out in one push, with a little push for her body. So my midwives plan was to just ease him out in between contractions so he wouldn't come too fast.
So when they checked me I not only was at 10cm but his head was a "3plus" meaning on his way down the birth channel. So during all this I was still all giddy and laughing at everything not realizing this was really causing him "exit the building".  I'm in the process of telling them to tell me when to push etc. and my nurse and midwife are enthusiastically telling me what a great job I'm doing and to keep doing what I'm doing, while I'm laughing and saying I'm not doing anything...they're like then just keep laughing. I'm still at a loss why everything was soo fun and funny to me but the next thing I knew I was watching him slide right out and then I had a baby boy on my chest! So Crazy! In the past weeks I've envisioned the moment when I'd finally meet my son and how emotional I would be but I just couldn't stop from giggling and smiling I was just soo happy! My midwife was on top of the world that she beat my last record...not one mark or tare! One of the funny things we were talking/laughing about before was if Dad was going to cut the cord...I guess the cutting of the cord had lost it's wonder the third time around and I was suggested we cut it together like our wedding cake....so funny! So we did! By the way Sunday morning I made David paint my toenails since I couldn't reach them and we ended up painting his thumb nail, which luckily appeared in the cord cutting picture....gotta love it!
So now it's the first night home, first day home with three kids and I can't complain.....just that my milk has come in with a vengeance and Christian has decided to sleep through the morning... Let's just say...off the chart Sensitive aching!
Anyway, that's my story! Once again A Positive Attitude and Laughter was the name of the game and my secret ingredient to life!

15 comments:

BBC said...

you are too funny jaycee! i love it! by the way, maybe sometime you can tell me more about the whole midwife thing... i don't really get it! :) christian is beautiful! i love his little dimple!

Jamie said...

That is so great. You are one lucky woman. Can I have you as my midwife for my next one? I am a little jealous...that's how every experience should be....man, did you smoke something before you went in?

Sheena said...

Man, that birth story is so great. I'm glad everything went so well for you! What a nice concept. In my case it will probably be: Push, Don't Cry! hahaha. Can't wait to meet the little guy.

Angela said...

Congrats guys! He is beautiful!!!

ROB AND HOLLY said...

Yay for easy births! That's great, and he is a doll. Congratulations to you both!

Katrina said...

LUCKY! What a sweet baby that Christian is and such a fun addition to the family. :)

Jenn said...

What a great story! CONGRATS! Christian is so adorable!

Melissa said...

That's a great story! I love the pictures, he's so beautiful! Congratulations, again!

HeatherStout said...

That's an awesome birthing story, Congrats!

Bird is the Word said...

NICE! If I could find a reason to laugh during labor I think I might try that route.... you are SO cute! I am glad you have yet another sweet baby to love! ~

Bethanne said...

I can not believe you laughed during the whole time. That is hilarious! My second doc (with Jackson) was pretty funny and was making me laugh while getting a spinal block (before my last c-section)...causing my milk to come in and leak thru my gown onto him...I should've worried about being paralyzed, but he was so funny!

Congratulations! He is gorgeous!

Chelsea said...

Jaycee-that is such a great story!!! You have such a cute laugh, too! Anyway, Christian is so darling-and his chin is my favorite! You guys have such gorgeous kids; you better have lots because they're too pretty for words!!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! Sounds like it was an awesome delivery and you have a beautiful new baby, (and beautiful girls!) Thanks for sharing this with me!!

Douglass Family said...

I wish our story could have been that fun and easy. I didn't experience labor but it was because I was doped up and on the Operating Table. Gotta love it. CONGRATS on your baby boy. If I don't watch it, I might catch up to you :) He is beautiful! Hope to meet him someday!
Luff ya girl
M

Sariah said...

Hi Jaycee! Since I haven't seen you since before you even went on your mission I almost feel like I need to remind you who I am. :o) And I'm excited to find your blog to at least attempt to catch up with you in some regard. You have a beautiful family!